Friday, August 17, 2007

Recap of the August 15th Diversity Career Fair and Education Expo

Being the new guy over at the Orlando Employment Guide office, I was preparing all week for my first career fair with our group! Apologies for the lack of blog posts, but this week has been a great experience not only for me and our office but for all our participating employers, recruiters and schools as well as the over 600 job seekers who took a giant step towards realizing their new job or career.


I had the opportunity of meeting with a good number of job seekers and employers and got a better sense of what it is that they are looking for at an event like this. First let me say that the Amway Arena is a remarkable venue for a career fair. Many compliments were handed out on the bright concourse and the layout of the event. Things ran smoothly from start to finish and I think everyone had a great time in the process!


The biggest noise of the day came from the Dice Roll table. The first 300 registered job seekers to walk through the door were given the opportunity to roll 6 dice, with the object of spelling out “New Job.” If they could accomplish this they would win a brand new 2007 ‘Nissan Altima’ courtesy of Reed Nissan. Sad to report that nobody walked away with the car, but 3 lucky participants rolled their way into some airline tickets courtesy of Southwest Airlines!


I also had the pleasure of walking through the concourse and getting interviews and testimonials from some of our feature companies. We will be rolling those out over the next few days, along with links to their postings on the EmploymentGuide.com. So if you remember being filmed, get ready for some added exposure courtesy of the Employment Guide. If you were not filmed and would like to tell us about your experience at our event, please post a comment to this posting or send an email to greg.rollett@employmentguide.com and I will be sure to get you ‘live’ on the JobSpot!


I hope that everyone who attended the event had a great and successful day. To all the job seekers, I hope that the Employment Guide has put you in front of quality employers that can start or advance your career. For all of our recruiters and education centers, I would like to think that we were able to bring you qualified job seekers to fill important positions in your business.


I would like to open up this thread for comments from job seekers, recruiters, employers and schools to give your feedback on the event and how the Employment Guide can make it an even better occasion next time! I look forward to seeing everyone again in October as we partner with the AARP and the Department of Labor for our next Job Fair. Please stay tuned and bookmark the JobSpot as we expose industry secrets and trends over the next few weeks leading up to out ‘Guide To Careers’ publication.


Featured Industries include:


Customer Service
Sales
Driving and Transportation
Retail
Hospitality
Health Care
Security
And many more!


Thanks for joining the conversation Orlando!


-Greg Rollett (or as Lee and Kathy say “the Optimizer”)

1 comments:

John P. August 20, 2007 at 9:59 AM  

Unfortunately, I did not win the car...but the event was a lot of fun!!! I met with several great companies and I was able to schedule four interviews for jobs that I am every excited about! Thanks again for your help in my job search...

  © Blogger template 'External' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP