Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Get Back on Track with Some Keys to Success!

I found an old AARP Magazine article today that I think would benefit a good number of the participants of our job fair last week. Speaking to a lot of the older (experienced) workers, I found that they have many of the same problems that plague my generation. Add that to the fact that technology is running laps around this demographic and they are having a hard time getting into the door. One gentleman said that if he hesitates when asked about computers on an interview he is hit with the ‘Next’ buzzer.


To get everyone back to good spirits and find that golden opportunity before the holiday season I have found Larry Thompson’s 4 keys to success. Larry Thompson is a film producer, manager, motivational speaker, and the author of Shine: A Powerful Four-Step Plan for Becoming a Star in Anything You Do.


1. Identify Your Talent -Don’t focus on weakness, instead highlight and develop your strengths
2. Summon Your Rage -Have tunnel vision for success!
3. Build Your Dream Team -Surround yourself with mentors, professionals, role models, motivators, and reality checkers. Every big movie star, musician, athlete and politician has a team so why not you?
4. Learn to Be Lucky -By putting in the effort you will find yourself at the right time, in the right place. Luck doesn’t happen by accident, it happens by hard work!


I hope you take some of Larry’s advice as you continue your job hunt.


-Greg Rollett

3 comments:

Jim October 11, 2007 at 6:24 AM  

Greg, I am still very new to blogs, but thanks for the information on Larry's book, I will check it out.
I am an "experienced" worker, who recently moved to Florida, but still feel I am not ready to fully retire and have a lot to offer a company, so I appreciate your group putting together the job fair last week. I spoke with most of the companies and hope to begin working with either Sears, Brighthouse or Disney.
Thanks again for helping me out, and your seminar was very interesting. Who knows, now that I am blogging, I may be able to give "less-experienced" workers a run for their money.

OrlandoJobs October 11, 2007 at 7:02 AM  

Thanks Jim,

Glad you had a chance to meet some great employers at the job fair and thanks for checking out the blog. I hope you continue to drop by, lend your thoughts and help the "less experienced" with your "experienced worker" expertise! Stay in touch and let us know the progress of your job search! We're rooting for ya.

Greg

Patrick October 11, 2007 at 7:37 AM  

Jim -

From all of the staff at the Employment Guide, we thank you and all of the other job seekers and vendors that attended last week's event. I think that everyone had a good time and we were able to put a lot of qualified jobseekers in front of some of the areas top companies.
We wish you all of the best with your job search and if we can assist with anything, please do not hesitate to let us know! Thanks again.

  © Blogger template 'External' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP