photo by afsilvaHaving just walked into the office after a little vacation to the Big Apple for a little relaxation and meeting some amazing people at Social Media Camp in NYC, I feel completely refreshed, clear headed and stress free.
When you come back from an environment that allows you to get away from all of the noise, distractions and day-to-day activities that consume your life, you get into a zone and begin producing at a higher level. At least that's how I feel.
Not everyone can go on a week long vacation, but there are some things that you can do in your everyday life that can clear your mind and get you focused. This will help you achieve the goals that you wish to achieve whether at your current job or if you are on the job hunt. Recruiters can sense stress levels of the people they are interviewing and they are more likely to hire someone that has a great work-life balance.
5 Tips to Getting Stress Free and Balanced:
- Talk a walk - and not just around your complex or neighborhood. Look for a local park or trail that really separates you from your regular environment. Don't forget the dog as they like to get out in fresh air as well.
- Go for a drive - Be careful as this one can be stressful as well, with traffic and gas prices. The key here is to get out of the city and into open roads, possibly Ocala, Palm Coast or somewhere out west like Sarasota, where the action is slower and the views are spectacular.
- Visit the beach - we do live in Florida, so really anyway that you head out, you are more than likely going to hit water. When attempting to clear your mind, stay away from popular and crowded areas like Daytona Beach and Cocoa, instead opt for areas that will allow you to breathe and be yourself. Start with Ormond Beach or Flagler.
- Clean your house/room/apartment - This doesn't sound like any relaxing fun, but the rewards are. Having a clean place to call home is a stress reliever in itself and will clear your mind of the things you need to cross off your to-do list. Getting Things Done is a great book that helps to de-clutter your life and maximize your daily output.
- Give yourself a day - Send the kids to the sitter, put the dog in a doggie hotel and send your wife/husband/boy/girl over to their friends house and have a day to yourself. Giving yourself time to eat, drink, shop, say what you want and make decisions on your own will give you confidence and release stress. Pamper yourself if necessary, I know I got to shop a little on 5th Avenue before I left town and that really helped my let loose.
Sometimes it takes a vacation, sometimes it takes an afternoon or weekend. Just remember to turn off the crackberry and the YouTube, forget about the TIVO and limit your input for a few hours and live a little.
When you come back, you will be driven, focused and ready to rock n roll.
Orlando, leave any tips that you have to come back recharged or tell us about a vacation that got you refreshed and ready to hit life running. I am looking forward to your responses.
Follow the Orlando Employment Guide on Twitter for updates on job openings, new posts and events in the Orlando area! It's free and works with your Mobile Phone! http://www.twitter.com/orlandoeg